All Top Personal Journal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday 22 March 2010

last night a dj.....


made me £60!


Saturday night was the time and sticky floor methodrone trinity was the venue.
I had been asked to cover the dj set before and after the covers band. 2 and a half
hours for £60. Lovely. I'm skint and the thought of educating the harrow-ites into the world of music pre-mystery jets seemed fun.

Started the opening hour (a few people milling around) with some 60's garage rock bangers such as "Dirty Water" by the standells and the kinks "till the end of the day"...seemed to brighten the place up and i saw even the bar staff nodding and singing away as they bottled up and such (yes i saw the bar staff cos their was no frigger in the place)... as the hour got on more and more people started coming in. As my Nuggets-esque jams were thinning I thought best to bring out the big guns, MOTOWN,STAX,NORTHERN SOUL...that is the best formula in the world and my best decision of the night. Place was heaving within about 15 mins...girls dancing together like the supremes drunk on JD, blokes getting into it as best they could as dancing is required as opposed to moshing. Set 1 done. Band on. Toilet break.lovely....

after the band with their usual bag of covers I played a few indie cuts, some Strokes, Ryan Adams (so alive) and surfing bird (for the family guy fans and to get people back on side after the band)then some young guy asked me for bloc party, I nodded that I would have a look, he wandered off happily...I stuck on "Alright" by supergrass and set the rugby boys into free fall...

I could see some of the trendies annoyed that I wasn't playing Friendly Fires and some rare Pete Doherty answerphone message or something but a DJ is supposed to please the crowd, call me old fashioned. Most people aren't musicians, they work the 9-5 and want to have a bit of a dance, a sing song and a drink with their mates... the reason "tainted love" - gloria jones northern soul classic will work 10/10 times over "everything in its right place"- radiohead....

No comments:

Post a Comment